Thursday, June 11, 2009

Theoretical Marriages

A colleague from the office named Kim posted this note today on her Facebook page: "If anyone knows a good washer repairman, please send my way. It's like laundry Survivor here. Outwit. Outlast."

I saw Kim in the office later and inquired about the state of her washer.

"No good," she said.

"Does that mean we'll start seeing you in a dress suit because that's the only thing clean?"

"Or my wedding dress."


"Or your graduation gown?"

"Don't know if I'd fit in that."

"Better go with the wedding dress then."

The conversation shifted to talk about a friend of mine who once kicked the tires on a wedding dress rental business; his idea was that it would have been akin to a tuxedo rental business.

"Intellectually I understand it, but my heart wouldn't be behind something like that," I said.

"Yeah, but it's like the wedding party," Kim replied. "Sure it's a big deal, but it really is just a party."

I pondered that for a moment, then said, "Well, it does commemorate a huge, life-changing event. You want something memorable to begin a lifelong commitment."

Kim nodded her head. "It's lifelong in theory, anyway."

I pondered for another moment, then said, "If you're not going into it with the intention of making it for life, then it's not a wedding -- it's just a hobby."

It was Kim's turn to be thoughtful, then she nodded again. "I like that perspective."

No comments: