Friday, January 30, 2009

Swiss Police and Google Earth

Source

Swiss police said Thursday they stumbled across a large marijuana plantation while using Google Earth, the search engine company's satellite mapping software. Officers seized over a ton of the plant (street value $780,000) that the farmers will perhaps claim they intended to use to fashion hemp rope (street value $10).

Yesterday I was talking to someone in the office about the early days of the DotCom era, when crazy activities were tolerated (and at times even expected). My colleague mentioned an outfit who served not just the normal cocktails at a company gathering, but illicit mind-altering substances. "I guess it's no different than serving alcohol, which we shouldn't do either," she concluded.

"I don't know," I said. "It's possible to drink without getting drunk, but it's not really possible to smoke pot or drop acid without getting high or tripping out."

Ah well, so much for moral equivalency.

No comments: