Sunday, August 17, 2008

Why Blog?

Feast of the Assumption

I blog primarily as recreation. My audience is family members and friends. Topics are limited to anything and everything that strikes my fancy or catches my interest.

There is a danger to this approach that can be summed as, "I might not be much, but I'm all I think about."

How, then, does a recreational blogger navigate his way between the Scylla of egotism and the Charybdis of irrelevant obscurity? My strategy has been to attempt to keep to a theme for the blog and try to (at least occassionally) refer to it.

What is that theme? Not that every entry touches directly on the meaning of life, but what I tried to establish in my first blog entry was that the final end of one’s being is the attainment of truth, beauty, and goodness by way of the intellect and reason.

To keep myself honest and grounded in objective reality, I draw on material from my life that includes significant places I've visited, flesh-and-blood people I've met, intriguing books I've read, and genuine experiences I've known.

We'll see how it goes.

Ad honorem.

No comments: