Monday, March 14, 2011

Wrong Number

Today during my lunch hour I called Luis from my cell phone to discuss the upcoming pilgrimage in June to Austria and Switzerland -- a trip that culminates at the SSPX seminary in Econe for ordinations.

Luis has help in his business from his wife and two daughters. When I phoned, instead of reaching Luis, I heard the voice of a young woman.

"Hi!" she said. Ah, she must have recognized my number on caller ID.

"Hi," I replied. "I've been playing phone tag with your father. We keep leaving each other messages, but so far we haven't been able to connect."

"With my father?" she asked.

Her tone caused me to raise an eyebrow. Had I mistakenly called one of Luis' daughters directly?

"That's right, we've both been so busy, we keep missing each other."

"Sean, do you know who this is?" she asked.

"Yes, this is Christina."

"No Sean, this is Kat."

My mind took a moment to process this, and then I put it together. Kat is a colleague from my company's Arlington office. It turned out that I'd recorded her phone number on my cell but mistakenly assigned it to Luis.

"Oh, hi Kat" I said. She laughed. We had fun with that one for a minute, did some quick catching up, and then went back to our normal routines.

Later I chuckled over what could have happened if I'd made the mistake with one of these numbers stored in my phone:
* boss
* dentist, physician
* parish priest
* insurance agent
* car dealership
* local hospital
* local police officer contact
* any number of business clients

What a mess I could have made!

No comments: