Friday, January 24, 2020

Analog and Digital

A few years ago I had a conversation about the topic of clocks with a colleague from work. He was a computer guy, and he was making unflattering remarks about how old analog clocks were not as accurate as digital clocks.

“It depends on what you’re using it for,” I said. “There’s no question that it’s easier to be more precise about the time using a digital clock. In truth, though, while the technology is a fascinating accomplishment, I don’t usually need nano-second accuracy."

We talked about that for a bit, then I added, "Time is a measure of change and motion. When I look at an analog clock, I see the moment I’m in, and I am also visually reminded of where I came from earlier in the day, as well as where I’m going. Having this context is useful; digital clocks lose that capacity. My own perspective is that when I need pinpoint precision about the time I go with digital, but otherwise for day-in, day-out living, analog is the better tool.”

My colleague, to his credit, agreed with my point.


No comments: