Friday, September 26, 2008

Modesty Prevails

About 10 years back Robin called me to say that she wouldn't be joining the rest of us that evening because her apartment had been burglarized.

"I'm so upset, Sean," she said. "They totally demolished my place -- they went through my apartment and threw everything I own all over the place. It looks like a tornado hit it! I can't think straight, I can't calm down -- all I can do is shake and cry!"

"Do you have anyone with you right now?"

"My mother is supposed to come over later tonight."

"I'll be there in less than an hour" I said.

En route I stopped at a Chick-fil-A to pick up dinner, then drove to Robin's apartment, chicken nuggets and barbeque sauce in hand.

When Robin opened the door I saw that she hadn't exaggerated: the burglars had been very thorough and left next to nothing upright.

"My situation has already gotten better," Robin said with a brave little grin.

"How so?" I asked.

"Because my underclothes were all over the place, and when you said you were coming over I thought, 'There's no way I'm going to let Sean see that'. So I picked them all up and put them away. It's not much, but it's a start."

We ate dinner, then got to work getting her place put in order.

Modesty is a virtue: you have to possess backbone to practice it, and if you're faithful to it then it will let you find you backbone you never knew you had.

No comments: